Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Clear Skies

Friends, family and former strangers,

If the sudden and glaring lack of posts to this blog weren't obvious enough, my hopes to compete in my first iron-distance triathlon have been temporarily put on hold. With the main chunk of training approaching, a nagging knee injury cut my season short about a month ago. The previous few weeks have not been easy (physically or emotionally). The hardest part of all was the cloud of uncertainty that hung over my head, not knowing the extent of my injury.

Fortunately, the proverbial weather seems to be clearing as I was diagnosed today with tendonitis of the IT band and patella. With a bit of rest and a good dosage of physical therapy, I hope to be back to my running (and my sanity) soon.

As for Clermont, well, I have transferred my registration to the half-iron distance relay. I will do the swim and bike (somewhat leisurely, I suspect) and Amber, my much better half, will do the 13.1-mile run.

Despite my mishap, the fund raiser was an enormous success. Tomorrow I will mail $3,581 worth of checks to Outward Bound in the name of the Daniel Pemsler Scholarship fund. For all you non-math majors - such as myself - this is over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS above my goal of $2,500.

I had more than one conversation about sacking the event entirely. My training has all but come undone and motivation lacking to say the least. Yet now I see 3,581 reasons to get up there and participate, regardless of my original plans. So, with my ego hopefully in check, I will humbly submit myself for an afternoon of fun in the hills of Clermont and all the while I will be thinking about how lucky I am, about everyone who donated and/or supported me (however they could), about Outward Bound, and about the impact a positive influence such as my friend Daniel Pemsler still holds on me to this very day.

You have not only contributed to a wonderful cause, but helped bring me out of the abyss. Thank you all so much.

Tony

1 comment:

kristican said...

Awesome job with your fundraiser. Can't wait to hear how you and Amber do.