Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Dan Pemsler Memorial Scholarship 2008

Dear Friends,

Two years ago, a tragic boating accident claimed the life of Daniel Eric Pemsler, my friend and fellow Outward Bound alumnus. For those that knew Daniel, hardly a day goes by in which we do remember him. In our freshman year of high school, Daniel and I participated in a week-long Outward Bound expedition in the Florida Everglades. Daniel went on to do a second course backpacking in the Rockies, and I participated in a course in the Lower Exuma Islands of the Bahamas. Years after our shared and individual experiences, we frequently discussed the positive influence Outward Bound had on our lives.

Following his death, Daniel’s parents, Barry and Pamela Pemsler, set up an Outward Bound memorial scholarship fund in his name to benefit Florida youth. Since 1975, Outward Bound programs for struggling teens have provided an alternative for at-risk and committed delinquent youths in Florida. The program has expanded to serve kids in South Carolina and Alabama and is a nationally-recognized program that reinforces character development, leadership, environmental awareness, academic achievement and social responsibility.

On October 25, 2008 I will be participating in the Great Floridian Triathlon in Clermont, Florida. This will be my first Ironman-Distance triathlon, which incorporates a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike, and a 26.2-mile run all in a single event. It is my goal to not only complete this race, but also to use my first Ironman experience to send at least one student on an expedition through Daniel Pemsler’s Memorial Scholarship Fund. In my days of training that lead up to the big day, I am collecting donations for the fund and respectfully request your support. With your generosity, we can use this event to reach my fundraising goal of $2,500 which will send at least one troubled youth on an Outward Bound expedition.

Click here to read my training blog, check on my fundraising progress and find out how you can help me achieve my goal. Thank you for your time and support. With your help, Dan’s spirit will live on and continue to have a positive impact on our communities and our world.
Sincerely,

Tony Blazejack
6450 SW 128 Street
Miami, Fl 33156
(808)330-8184 (cell)
Blazejac@gmail.com

3 comments:

Mia said...

Way to go, Tony! Count me in as a fan of yours...and a Dan Pemsler scholarship supporter! Look for my donation! Let's keep Dan's spirit alive and strong!
thanks for making a difference.
t.

Unknown said...

Tony,

This is awesome! Your dedication and drive is inspirational. I truly enjoyed your blog and know Dan would approve. His spirit will push you and this venture to success. Thanks for reaching and out and giving. Our whole family supports your efforts.

Marsha (Dan's aunt/Pam's sister)

kathy said...

Tony,

We are deeply touched by your dedication in remembering Daniel. Those (of us) who knew and loved him will never forget his undefeatable spirit. May you carry this spirit forward in your efforts to do good in his behalf!Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! (as Dan's family) Think of Danny as you run and it should give you the strength to finish!
Good Luck!
Kathy (Dan's aunt)